Tuesday 30 November 2010

Why I Don't Like Kindle (2G)



Electronic Ink Technology Not Worth It
The Kindle behaves just like paper. With paper or the Kindle's e-ink technology, you don't have to worry about reflections; you can bathe in the sun while you read on the Kindle. The e-ink technology is an awesome feature for people that read outside a lot and don't want to worry about reflections off a glossy screen getting in the way of reading, but when you read in the dim most of the time, the technology isn't worth it. And just like paper, the Kindle doesn't provide a light source, thus you have to buy a book light with your Kindle if you want to read in the dark.

You Need to Know a Computer Language to Get Articles from the Web on your Kindle

I'm not serious about having to know a computer language, but I made a program to ease transferring articles from my computer to my Kindle. The Kindle, as far as I know, does not make an easy transfer of anything 'free'.

The simple program I made inserts the necessary HTML to describe headers and end-lines that would make for a tedious task done manually. The output file created by my program then needs to go through another program that converts HTML files into EPUB files which the Kindle understands.

The Kindle isn't Big Enough For Textbooks

I was so excited about getting the Kindle so I could carry all my textbooks in half the weight of a single textbook. When I finally received the Kindle, I realized that there was no way I would be able to comfortably read my textbooks on it. Unless you buy the whopping $350.00+ Kindle DX, you won't be reading your textbooks on your Kindle. I tried reading "C Primer Plus" by Stephen Prada but the code in the book, because of it's different font, was hard to read and the side notes were disorganized. Otherwise, Kindle 2 is great for novels such as Twilight and Harry Potter


My Library doesn't like Kindle

I don't know if Apple made a deal with the libraries here or what but I cannot upload digital books from my libraries to my Kindle. Actually, my library supports just about every other e-reader device besides the Kindle. I went through thousands of electronic reading devices but for some reason Kindle was not on the list.

No comments: