Friday 3 April 2009

Working in Steps

I learned an important lesson about programming from a yahoo answer. If only I could find that one yahoo answer that taught me the ways of the samuri in terms of programming. Some chick posted a bunch of code and copy pasted her debugger output and said "where's the problem?" The best answer in my opinion then explained that programming doesn't work that way. You don't define and impliment 10 different functions into a program and then run it through a debugger. No, you're supposed to run each function or at least the basic idea of the function through the debugger to see if it works before you go on defining another function for the program.

Today I decided to stop procrastinating or puttning off the Scrabble Cheater project. Well, I decided to work ont he project sooner after I discovered some solutions as I meditated over the problems as a bed time story. I guess I'll talk about some of those solutions on my C++ blog. So far, my program consists of only a couple functions and I'm about to turn some code I've been testing into another function which migh turn out to be the most important function in the program - the function that compares the characters from the input to the characters of words in an array.

Another concept I had a hard time with was working with a project. I always used to work on a single source file. I knew what the include statements meant but I didn't know who to "make my own files to include". On DEV-CPP making a project is very easy. I recently downloaded Code Blocks but I'm just not used to the idea of using it as my default IDE yet. I have tried Microsoft Visiual CPP Express but I'm not used to it either. That's my update for now.

No comments: